Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Faculty Priorities Reconsidered Ch. 13

 O'Meara, KerryAnn. "Effects of Encouraging Multiple Forms of Scholarship Nationwide and Across Institutional Types." Faculty priorities reconsidered: Rewarding multiple forms of scholarship. Eds. K. O’Meara & E. R. Rice.San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2005: 255-289.


Like: I liked that the authors addressed different types of institutions (though I was disappointed that the 2-year wasn't in there), and that they gave suggestions for the issues each type faced in light of expanding scholarship. While it's not something I like, I'm glad they addressed it and I found it interesting that formal implementation of broad definition of scholarship has created strain on faculty and reward systems.


Confusion: None.


More: I suppose I'll be asking for more about this constantly: I'm specifically interested in the 2-year institution in comparison to the 4-year types discussed here.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I have a love/hate relationship with SoTL stuff. On the one hand, you would think it would be a party CCs are actively invited to. On the other hand, CCs are still constructed as the bastard step-child, even if it is constructed through blatant erasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep coming back to questions about how CCs fit into SoTL as well. Most of the readings we have done thus far focus on 4-year colleges and universities, but it does seem self evident that SoTL is a good fit for CC faculty and a good way to generate research and publications that directly relate to CC pedagogy.

    ReplyDelete